- 2 kilos of mussel from Galicia
- 1 glass of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 glass of wine vinegar
- 1 glass of white wine (a good Albariño if possible)
- A tablespoon of sweet or semi-sweet Vera paprika
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 bay leaves
Mussels are one of the most valued products of the sea in all the cuisines of the world, due to its intense and characteristic flavor. For their abundance, more over, they are a very affordable element in the half-world coastal zones. In Galicia it is very common to consume them cooked with steam and accompanied by a fresh wine, but they admit multitude of preparations.
Preparation of mussels in pickled sauce
- Well cleaned mussels under the faucet and pull the beard protruding by junction of shells. We discard those that are broken or open. Fresh mussels should be open a millimeter or two and closes when you try to open them
- In a large pot put a glass of wine Albariño, two bay leaves, and mussels. Them have been boiling with strong fire and covered. Since boil we let them two minutes to red strong (without removing the lid) or we can go by removing those who open.
- Drain the mussels but we reserve half a glass of water from the cooking, strain to remove impurities. This will consist of the wine more seawater that released the mussels
- Separate the mussels from the shells and put them in fiambreiras or in vials, depending on the support that we are going to make the conserva.
- We tools garlic and merge them in one pan with the glass of strong red and a bay leaf extra virgin olive oil.
- When garlic is golden brown remove from fire and add a good pepper sopeira cullerada. Stir rapidly with a wooden spoon so it won’t burn and add to cool, the vinegar and cooking water which we reserve previously.
- With this mixture, we cover the mussels in the fiambreiras or in vials. It is important that they are well covered with liquid are preserved well and acquire the taste of the preparation.
- When the ambient temperature they can be put in the fridge.
Mussels in pickled sauce can be eaten almost since they cool, although the second pass the hours are much better. Tightly closed they can be stored for months, although the best time to consume them is little by little days, perhaps a week, its preparation
A few hours before serving, it is convenient to take them out of the refrigerator so they are room temperature, because cold partially masks the flavor of the marinade